5.18.2008

'What teach ye this people?'

So I have decided to add a different kind of blog to our site. Not only am I going to blog about the general (and exciting) things that happen in our life, but a few of the spiritual things as well. Hopefully these new posts will occur more and more frequently...but no guarantees. (And I apologize for any spelling/grammar errors there may be. English never was my best subject!)

Today in Sunday School we talked about Abinadi and his teachings to King Noah's priests (Mosiah 12). These wicked priests claimed to be teaching the people the Law of Moses, yet were not living the law themselves. The class then began to discuss the importance to living what we preach...especially within the walls of our own homes and families.

Our children (as well as everyone around us) watch every little thing we do. This point has been more and more obvious to me as David has gotten older. He may only be 16 months old but is already copying everything anyone does. Recently Eric's parent's bought a Wii. Anytime any of the boys are over there they end up having some sort of bowling, home run, boxing, and/or golf challenge. This last week David started sitting and watching Eric play baseball on the Wii. When it wasn't anyone's turn Eric would let David hold a controller so he could pretend he was playing. It was pretty fun to watch David try to figure out how to move his body in the same way Eric was moving his.

Well, later in the week David and I went over to my parent's house while Eric was at work. David was just hanging out watching a baseball game with Pop (my dad) when I saw that David had grabbed the TV remote was standing right in front of the TV. As I kept watching I realized that every time there was batter getting ready to swing David would hold the remote on one shoulder and swing it around to the other shoulder. I realized that David thought he was playing baseball on the TV just like his dad had been doing the other day!!

It is so important for Eric and I to watch everything we do right now. I want to make sure that David grows up with good habits and a love for what is right. He hasn't even been in our lives for a year and a half and yet he has taught me an endless number of times, just how lucky I am to be trusted to help raise our young family.

1 comment:

Robin said...

Welcome to world of parenting. You can't do ANYTHING without someone watching. And it seems like they always notice the things that you wish they didn't...